hmmm...
that's a tough one over at parent's blogger's dot com
I found that while trying to set up another blog i've been planning for a few weeks - over on wordpress...haven't gotten it totally set up yet but will unveil it this week. ANYWHO...
I wasn't ever really taught monetary responsibility AT ALL growing up. My father's budgeting is spend it when you get it. and even if you don't have it. which doesn't work too well for, you know, actually having money. My mother's philosophy is "its mine all mine" you - child - go out and work and the support I'm getting for you - not yours MINE and I'll kick you out if you bother me (as she did me and yeah at least 3 of my 4 sisters).
I still am working on not living my father's method. its tough. seriously. I know its bad...but I still do it...
but I've been trying to do better and even though my son is small and not yet in school I try to explain things to him about purchasing items. talking to him if he wants something - like a drum - that momma will look for one at the thrift store because 12 dollars is seriously too much to spend on a fisher price drum. imo. Capital One has a pretty impressive money management "school" going on...go check it out - managing your money.
I also like this idea I learned from the person I had do our pictures - jenna cole's budgeting - because you see money grow. I'd like to help my son learn that. in all aspects of his life. so rather than feeling deprived, he feels rich.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeleteWe definately try to budget over here.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. The post its you can find here http://wigflip.com/superstickies/.
ReplyDeleteNow off to check out the rest of your blog. Liking it so far :)
I struggle with how/when to teach this to my kids, too!
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't mind me leaving you a comment. I noticed you have a heart for Him and are a follower of Katie Davis' blog. I'm a 26 year old woman from England who has been called of God to become a Mama to many Ugandan children. I move to Uganda in January of next year and will be taking in children & loving them, just like Katie. I wondered if you might perhaps be interested in my blog. The link is:
www.icarryyouinme.wordpress.com
If you aren't, please just ignore this message.
Have a lovely day!
Gabi
great links, thanks. it is good to think about this with my kids too
ReplyDeleteDear Nina-thank you so very much for stopping by my blog and the very kind comments you left today...they really put a smile in my heart:)
ReplyDeleteLove your post of teaching kids about fiscal responsibility. My Tars is only 2 and a half but..it's somthing I want to be mindful of as she comes to understand the value of money. -Soraya